Last night we received our uniform shirts, socks, game schedules and updated rules for the 2011 season. We will hand out Slugger packets tonight at practice.
The following is a copy of the updated rules we received last night. From what I can see, the only thing that changed is the addition of rule #10 under “General Rules for 8 and Under”.
These rules along with our game and snack schedule will be updated on our ” RGSA 8U League Rules” page and “Slugger Calendar” link.
First half of Season
1. During to first half of the season, a Coach will pitch.
2. The pitches are not to be lobbed. The ball must remain below a 5ft at all times during the pitch.
3. While pitching the Coach will refrain from coaching.
4. Each batter will be given 5 pitches to put the ball into play. Three swinging pitches will constitute as an out. If the 5th pitch and any sequential pitch thereafter are hit into foul play, it will not be counted against the player. The player will remain at bat until she hits the ball into play or fails to make contact.
5. The Coach/pitcher will not interfere with a batted ball, or with a defensive player trying to make a play on the batted ball. The batter will be called out for this infraction and all runners will return to the base occupied at the time of the pitch. If this happens twice in the same game, the Coach/pitcher will be asked to leave the field and the team will have to enter a new Coach/pitcher. The Coach/pitcher may coach from the dugout, but not return to the field the rest of the game.
6. Line up will consist of only players on the field (10 batters). When the team ends their turn at bat, the next time up, the line up will start where it left up. If there are less than 10 players on the line up, a missing batter will be an automatic out. (i.e. If you are only playing with 9, every time the 10th batter comes up, will be an out)
Second half of Season
1. During the last half of the season a player will pitch.
a. Pitchers must begin pitch with both feet on the rubber.
2. Each batter will be charged with one ball/one strike at each bat. The standard four-ball, three-strike count will take effect. (i.e. there will no longer be a 5 pitch limit)
3. If the batter reaches the four-ball count, the coach will pitch one pitch. If the player fails to make contact, she is out. If the player hits a foul, she will be allowed one more pitch. If the player does not put the ball into fair play, she will be out.
General Rules for 8 and Under
1. Games time will be 1 hour and 15 minutes.
2. The entire season, each inning will consist of 3 outs or 5 runs.
3. Home team will be responsible for keeping the league book. Visitors will be responsible for putting up the bases if there is no scheduled game afterwards.
4. No base stealing will be allowed. A runner trying to steal a base will be called out.
5. No bunting is allowed. A bunt attempt will be considered a strike.
6. Runners shall not lead-off any base. If a runner is caught, they will be called out by the umpire.
7. Only one base will be allowed on the first overthrow per play, not per overthrow. The play will be dead if with a player’s attempt to throw the ball to the pitcher’s circle.
8. Each player gets one warning for throwing the bat. After that, the player will be called out if they throw the bat. This will be at the discretion of the umpire.
9. Players who are designated as right, center, and left field must play (set up) in the grass outfield.
10.On defense only two coaches are allowed in the grass outfield. The coaches will not interfere with a batted ball, or with a defensive player trying to make a play on the batted ball.
11. Players must attempt to throw the ball. No purposeful underhand rolling the ball to a player.